CRIME VICTIM ADVOCATE PROGRAM
Advocates at the Crime Victim Advocate Program help victims of sexual assault and other crimes understand their options, gain information they need and obtain Temporary Orders of Protection from the courts. Advocates also assist victims with filing police reports and offer support and assistance throughout the court process.
The Missoula Crime Victim Advocate Program provides free and confidential assistance to victims of violent crime such as sexual assault. The program works to empower and support sexual assault survivors by upholding their rights to information, fair treatment and restitution.
The program offers assistance regardless of whether you choose to report to law enforcement, are unsure about reporting or have reported and the case is under investigation.
Advocates are available from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. via phone or walk-in hours. As they might be in court or helping someone, calling the office for an appointment is best.
A CVA advocate will:
- Listen to you and provide a safe, confidential space.
- Explain options and how the court process works. (Please also see the Missoula County Attorney listing on this website for information on the legal process.)
- Provide emotional support and resources, and information about feelings and responses to being sexually assaulted.
- Accompany you to make a police report.
- Help you get a Temporary Order of Protection and assistance with the court hearing.
- Help you with safety planning.
- Provide you with referrals to community resources.
If the case is prosecuted an advocate can provide:
- Emotional support throughout the criminal case, including attending hearings with you.
- Information regarding court dates.
- Explanation of court hearings.
- Communication with the prosecutor and courts.
- Information on victims’ legal rights and protections.
- Assistance with victim compensation applications.
- Support at interviews with prosecutor, defense attorney or law enforcement.
- Help with victim impact statements at sentencing.
- Help with requests for restitution for loss, damages and/or medical costs.